Experiential Learning Leadership Intensive
Shine Your Light and the American Gap Association, with support from the Association for Experiential Education (AEE) and Go Overseas, are pleased to announce the Experiential Learning Leadership Intensive (a.k.a. "EL Boot Camp"). The EL Boot Camp is a six-day intensive leadership retreat for executive directors and other managers of experiential learning programs, inside and outside of a school setting. The Boot Camp offers in-depth training and support in the key areas needed to run your programs successfully, including marketing, effective systems and administration, risk management, program development and fine-tuning, and learning outcome assessment. The 2017 Boot Camp will take place Oct. 22-27 in Lake Tahoe.
What Is It?
The EL Boot Camp is a 6-day intensive leadership retreat for executive directors and other managers of experiential learning programs, inside and outside of a school setting. The Boot Camp offers in-depth training and support in the key areas needed to run your programs successfully, including marketing, effective systems and administration, risk management, program development and fine-tuning, and learning outcome assessment. See below for a specific list of topics addressed.
HOW IT’S UNIQUE: Unlike other leadership trainings, such as conferences, the Boot Camp:
- Is individualized to your specific skill and experience level, whether you and your program are brand-new or have been operating for decades;
- Provides an opportunity to drill down deeply into the program areas you most want to work on and improve, and
- Provides focused, dedicated time to work individually and in teams with personalized coaching on your program areas and leadership skills.
Who Should Attend?
The EL Boot Camp is designed for leaders who are developing, directing, or managing experiential learning programs, including Gap year, cultural exchange, service-learning, outdoor, internship, experiential preK-12 schools, and study abroad programs.
- It's your time to shine: While much effort and time goes into thoughtful development of your students and programs, it's equally critical to put dedicated energy and reflection into your own growth as leaders. Expand your leadership skills and knowledge, and focus on those bigger priorities that get shelved amidst your pressing daily tasks.
- Keep up your cred: The EL Boot Camp is the most fun, streamlined option for anyone seeking or maintaining four-year accreditation from the American Gap Association. AGA-accredited programs are viewed as among the highest quality programs by families, schools, and the U.S. government.
- Be a pioneer: The first 10 programs to enroll in the Boot Camp can opt to be in our emerging pilot program for Gap and other experiential programs to count as college credit and to be eligible for federal financial aid (FAFSA).
- Create new bonds: Networking in the intimate Boot Camp setting, you will develop new friendships with professional peers to support each other in your current roles or open doors to opportunities within the broader experiential learning community.
- The future's in your hands: As developers and leaders of experiential learning programs, you are in a uniquely powerful position to role model and guide soon-to-be-adults how to become more collaborative and less tribal, creating win-win ways to share our global resources, rather than competing and regarding each other with suspicion and hate.
About Our Team
Shine Your Light is an internationally respected leadership and personal development nonprofit founded by 25-year veteran leadership author/speak/coach, Laurie Gardner. Laurie has served as the close advisor and consultant to state and country leaders, mayors, education and business pioneers, and other movers and shakers worldwide. Her comprehensive leadership institute has helped thousands of education leaders and has been replicated nationwide.
The American Gap Association is a nonprofit Standards and Professionalization Organization for Gap Years as recognized by the US Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission. AGA works primarily to help spread the word about Gap Years by providing resources and information, as well as work to increase financial aid resources and improve the professionalization of the field.
Where and When?
The 2017 Boot Camp will take place in beautiful Lake Tahoe, at the Granlibakken Resort, from October 22-27, 2017.
The EL Boot Camp offers a range of interactive, in-depth sessions, guest and peer speakers, case studies, and indoor and outdoor group activities that address the essential concepts and skills for successful experiential learning program management. The pace of the Boot Camp is intense and engaging, yet also relaxed and fun. Key topics include:
- What's Your Why? Examining and implementing your mission
- Life-Changing Learning: Must-have elements of a transformational experiential educational program
- Expanding Your Marketing Funnel: Finding new clients and strengthening ongoing relationships
- Sticky Personnel Issues: Effectively selecting, training, managing, and assessing your staff
- Show Me the Money: Financial start-up and sustainability
- Follow Me: Discovering and developing your leadership and learning style and strengths
- Say What? Interpersonal and cross-cultural communication and conflict resolution
- Who's Steering this Ship? Effective program governance and leadership
- I Won't See You in Court: Risk management, legal and policy questions and issues
- All Systems Go: Effective program operations, information management, and key administrative strategies
- Counting with Colleges: Updates and next steps in getting college credit and financial aid for your programs
- It's All about the Kids: Pre-course prep, on-course mental health and behavior issues, successful re-entry
- School is Fun! School-based experiential approaches that motivate kids to learn.
Program Cost & Scholarships
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL, by July 30: $2,750 (AGA & AEE members), $2,850 (non-members).
REGULAR REGISTRATION, by September 1: $2,875 (members), $2,975 (non-members).
The fee covers 6 days of double-occupancy lodging, meals, use of the resort grounds and facilities, registration, materials, and presentations. Single lodging for an additional $450. Participants must arrange and cover the costs of their travel and incidentals. Organizational teams (10% discount on subsequent team members), partners, and families are welcome to enjoy the resort for an extra fee.
Needs-based scholarships are available.
Want to donate in support of a great program to attend? Please mail a check for $3,000 (or whatever amount you'd like to contribute) to Shine Your Light, P.O. Box 5312, Berkeley, CA 94705. All donations are tax-deductible. If there's a particular leader you'd like to sponsor, from this list, AEE, or elsewhere, let me know. Otherwise, we'll match your generous donation to those most in need.